Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Next in line

With the third adventure in my solo Drowsbane campaign posted, and currently finishing work on the fifth of the series, I am musing the direction the saga is taking. More thoughts about my overall campaign plan over here. I am liking where it's going, but uncertain about whether it will ever get there.

It has been a fun experience thus far, and my interest hasn't waned much, which is a very good sign in my case. However, there's currently a big drain on my current free time and a big outside project coming up, with doesn't jive much with my posting/journaling style.

As I have touched on before, one of the issues and challenges I have is how much to write? If I am verbose, the speed of finishing a typical 9Q adventure is slow. The current chapter is a good example: I have been floundering on the current adventure for a few weeks now, and not due to lack of interest. I like seeing JF's own examples of 9Q sessions on his blog. He runs lean, with perhaps only a brief paragraph per player or GM "turn" (roughly three short paragraphs per each of nine questions). That may just be for the reader's benefit. I have done a few examples in that format. The downside is that they are much less interesting personally. I feel less connected to them, and so I am more susceptible to losing interest in such endeavors. They are much faster, however.

In any case, the next adventure I'll post, "The Stone of Baolnor" (a random title I drew from a hat), picks up after the heroes arrive in Sembia. I tried out the NPC 9Q's, coming up with an unlikely barbarian they meet in a tavern who gives them a hook, since I was without one at that point. Although I'll refer to the encounter with the barbarian, that encounter will be "in between time" background info. The fifth in the solo campaign will pick up on a story hook emerging from "The Stone", making up the fifth, "Mystery of the Burned Man."

In the meantime, with a lack in available time, I may try a concise style solo game with a familiar character and see how my interest will result after concluding.

On another off topic, I can't rave enough about Nathan Russell's FU Rpg. What an amazing tool for the gamer with no time. I love the option to be able to resolve a whole scene in one roll. If you don't know about this elegant little free system with lots of meat on unassuming bones, check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment